Policy Development Committee
Started in mid-November 2019, Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon (VBY) founded a small committee to work on ten to fifteen priority policies for our organization. We have a new volunteer, Brenda Lee Doyle, who has agreed to develop a policy manual for us. Thank you Brenda-Lee!!
Most of the policies will be drafted for the specific use of VBY, but some will follow a more general format for adaption and use by other organisations - such as yours! Each of our new draft policies will be added to this website as a template for your reference.
Thank you to our volunteer Brenda Lee Doyle who is facilitating the committee. Thank you also to Linda Casson, Shonagh McCrindle, Lesley Carberry and Jenna Winter.
- Generic Organization ENDS Policy (Draft)
- Board and ED Relations Policy (Draft)
- Board Directors Obligation Policy (Draft)
- Media Relations Policy (Draft)
- Board Director's Code of Conduct Policy (Draft)
- Staff Training Policy (Draft)
- Board Director Training Policy (Draft)
- Succession Planning for Board Directors Policy (Draft)
- Succession Planning for Staff Policy (Draft)
- Information Retention and Destruction Policy (Draft)
- Safeguards for Office Space Policy (Draft)
- Privacy Collection and Use Policy (Draft)
- Risk Management and Business Continuity (Draft)
- Financial Management - Internal Controls (Draft)
- Budget Development and Financial Reporting (Draft)
Policy Analysis Documents
- Policy Analysis on Governance
- Policy Analysis on Training
- Policy Analysis on Financial and Risk Management
- Policy Analysis on Pandemic Planning for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Resources Used When Creating Draft Policies
Resources on Governance, Board Development and Training:
- Comparison of Four Boards
- My Risk Management Policies: VBY can give VBY Members free access to this webiste to help create custom policies for member nonprofits. As a member with access to this resource, you can customize policies that suit the mission, culture, and circumstances of your organisation. You will be free from the guilt (and dread) associated with copying another organisation's policies, and you will be taking a giant leap forward to protect the vital mission of your nonprofit. Thank you Imagine Canada for providing this opportunity to Yukon NGOs.
- Board Governance Road Map: an outline to creating a well-functioning governance board and ways of continually monitoring the effectiveness of a governance board.
- Governance for Not-for-Profit Organizations: Questions for Directors to Ask.
- Governance Models.
- Board Profile & Competency Matrix Tool: lists, defines and explains three major competency areas.
- Policy Governance: A generic board leadership system allowing Board Directors to fulfill accountability in their Organizations.
- Not-for-Profit Management Competencies: Identifies Competencies in six domains including Leadership, Structure & Environment, Direction & Strategy, Membership Services, Operations Support, and Products & Services.
- What Kind of Board are You?
- PMC Core Competencies: Finding a PMC course to develop your core competencies.
- Good Governance: The Essential Checklist
Resources on Privacy
- Why Charities and Not-for-Profits should Comply with PIPEDA (website)
- Guidelines for Obtaining Meaningful Consent (website)
- Gaps Assessment Checklist - from the Yukon Privacy Commissioner
Resources on Pandemics
- Pandemic Checklist: A great checklist from Alberta on Pandemic Planning for Influenza which could be adapted for COVID-19.
For more information, please contact Bruno at firstname.lastname@example.org