The NGO HUB - Part of the Solution!
NGO HUB as an idea
In October 18, 2018, VBY organised a gathering to discuss a new hub for Yukon non-profit organisations. In the Yukon, there are approximately 720 non-profit organisations (source: Corporate Affairs). Still, there is a need for a specific organisation representing the interests of, advocating for, and supporting the third sector. Since then, VBYs strong belief that Yukon NGOs will increase their effectiveness and have a greater impact on the community by building capacity in the areas of training, communication, resource access as well as in volunteer and staff recruitment has been echoed. The creation of the HUB is one way to achieve this by enabling NGO to access all these services offered in one place.
The inital meeting's objective was to explore interest in creating a HUB to represent, support and advocate for Yukon NGOs. Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon (VBY) is a volunteer centre, a training centre, a communication networking centre, a resource centre and an employment centre and thus, it is well positionned to be a catalysing contributor to the project. Please click here for October 18 minutes
The Team behind the NGO HUB Steering Committee
Since then, a Steering Committee is working on further developing the project.
The Steering Committee members are:
- Bruno Bourdache, Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon
- Sue Edelman, Yukon Anti-Poverty Coalition
- Tracy Erman- Independant
- Angela Krueger, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Véronique Maggiore, Independant
- Stephanie Padfielfd, Canadian Mental Health Association of Yukon
- Natalie Taylor, Fetal Alcohol Syndrom Society of Yukon
We are looking for more steering committee members, representing oragnizations and indivuduals alike. If you have communication, consultation, are a team player and innovative thinker we would love to work with you. If you'd like to participate in bringing this project to reality, please contact Bruno.
The Activites of the NGO HUB Steering Committee
Since April 2019, the steering committee has conducted a survey to know what NGO hub our members would like to have. We all want more time for the important work we love doing. This survey takes a look at NGOs’ priorities, and the possibilities they envision in a NGO HUB. A report detailing the results of the survey has been compiled and can be obtained by contacting us.
A total of131 NGOs shared their insights. The key findings of the report are that:
- The NGO sector wants to find more effective ways to connect, collaborate, enhance skills and make impact in our communities
- The organizations have a wealth of ideas for how to most effectively do so and what services and ressources would be most useful to the needs of the organization and their teams
- Community and stakeholder engagement is key to creating an effecive and dynamic NGO HUB
To view the full timeline of the Steering Committee's activities and learn what steps are to come, please click here
For more information on the NGO HUB, the Steering Committee or the survey, please contact Bruno